My rendezvous with South India




In the end we only regret the chances we did not take and I for one am not living in regret because I took up this opportunity to explore my wanderlust spirit. And I am really glad that my spirit does not just aimlessly meander but is also open to soaking in all the experiences these places have to offer. The past week around the quaint South have been nothing but an array of experiences and then I realized, adventures are the best way to learn.


It started out with an emotional journey to Trivandrum from Varkala, as I was bidding farewell to my friends that I made at Varkala. 




My inspiration for this short trip was the Indian classical dance ‘Kathakali’, I always wanted to tap my feet to their tune. So when I found out that they were offering a class in Trivandrum I made way over there, to the dance organization ‘Margi’ that offers short lessons and full day courses.
After my tête-à-tête with kathakali, I was back on the road towards Kanyakumari, the southern most tip of India. It was a pleasant journey except for the fact that the roads were single lanes and the Kerala State Transport buses were being driven in an erratic manner, the bus drivers were under the illusion that they were all Micheal Schumachers and to top it all it started to rain and that's when I had a fall. Its in situations such as these that the helmet and the safety gears come in hand.

It was almost after 125 kms of riding that I had my first glimpse of Kanyakumari and before I knew it I was already at the edge of the town facing the ocean and I could see the shops selling shells, pearls, corals and different varieties of stones. I headed straight to the hotel Manickam where I was given a room facing the ocean, along with an amazing view of the 'Our Lady of Ransom Church' and the 'Pooviyoor Theppekulam'.  

Our Lady of Ransom Church

Pooviyoor Theppekulam
Garden Restaurant at Hotel Maadhini - The Malai kofta and the Kerala paratha here is a must have!

The next day early morning at 5 o'clock I woke up and walked up to the edge of the beach and as I stood there waiting for the sun to rise through the heavy clouds I had a pretty view of the Indian ocean getting merged with the Arabian sea and the Bay of Bengal. 

A bridge of rocks towards the Indian Ocean





Vivekanda rock memorial and Thiruvalluvar statue

All the boats had a photo of a deity 


Thiriveni Sangamam
The Hindus consider it holy to take a dip here
.
Wandering Monk Exibition

I can so relate to the term 'Wandering'

Kanyakumari was followed by Tirunelveli where more than the destination I was blown away by the ride because the scenic view had a charming appeal with the freshness of the greenery and the windmills which stood along the way. 



At Tirunelveli I met up with my friends and they took me out for dinner and insisted that I try the famous halwa of that place (you should try it too, I insist!).


Navaratri preparation at my friend Amritha's house


The next morning I rode to Tiger falls and the Main falls which lies around 100 kms away. 






I made it to the temple city Madurai after a smooth ride of 170 kms just in time for the Navratri festival and I could not have been there at a better time. The entire area was lit up including the Meenakshi temple and I got the opportunity to view some of India’s most talented people performing Bharatnatyam and singing classical music. That feel in those festive moments is something I will never be able to brush away from my soul.


Temple view from the terrace of a local shop - Kashmir Handloom House


Meenakshi Temple



Lighting decorations at the Temple


Owing to the spectacular festival delicious food was being served at the temple for only ten rupees.



Little talents of India

I was told by the guides at Meenakshi temple that the Gandhi Museum is a must visit place at Madurai
.



Located in a quiet corner, it is a well maintained memorial of Gandhiji. It comprises of photos, paintings, sculptures, manuscripts, quotations as well as the blood stained cloth that was worn by Mahatma Gandhi on the day of his assassination. The museum depicts various phases of Mahatma Gandhi right from his childhood days till the day he was taken to the crematorium. The pictures displayed here are carefully compiled making sure that the spectator feels inspired from the life of this true patriot.

On the way back to the hotel I came across this breathtaking view of horses and cows grazing on the almost dried up river bed.



As I was nearing Rameshwaram while riding from Madurai for almost 190 kms, I came across a small narrow path that runs to the beach. My instinct always tells me to take risks and explore places, so I went for it and that path opened up to a vast expanse of sea, the view was so blue that day and what a clean and private beach that was.




I rode to Rameshwaram to view the famous Pamban bridge. People usually go there to watch the bridge split when the ships go by or to see the train pass by which apparently passes by only twice a day. I got lucky though, as soon as I reached I chanced a view of the train pass by, it was majestic!






My selfie moment with the train against the blue water




While strolling in Rameshwaram I came across 'Blue Coral Cottage' who were offering snorkeling. I was lost under the sea for almost 3 hours.

Pardon the dates, its set wrong on my Go Pro

Its a whole different world under the water


Sea cucumber

Sea lotus








**Watch the video till the end to see what the sea Lotus does....

I also had the opportunity to have lunch with the local fishermen who were so kind to share their cuisine with me.


Ate fresh fish curry which was caught while snorkeling






















In front of the home of former President of India Abdul Kalam



Riding back to Madurai


Concluding my voyage around the coast I finally made my way up the hills to Kodaikanal. It was such a relief after riding for days in the heat, to find myself in such a misty and cold place.

My first view of Kodai


My favorite spot on the hill 








the view at Coakers Walk in Kodai

United 21 Resort at Kodai 



As you can see my entire travelogue is overflowing with a mélange of memories and that in itself is such a high, who needs magic mushrooms?!



For further updates check India on a Motorcycle

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful captures and interesting narration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Loved all d pics n the narration of ur experiences n memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hatss off !! One of the best lifetime experience !! Best wishes !! Safe ride !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hatss off !! One of the best lifetime experience !! Best wishes !! Safe ride !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. True Wanderer is here !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which place do you find best for long rides in South India ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. MK Mueller is looking forward to see more of your great trip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Just awesome! Congratulations! Loved every part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooowww! That's really one amazing ride with super experience u had candy... D pics a really good, loved d blog :) :)
    -Dhruva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooowww! That's really one amazing ride with super experience u had candy... D pics a really good, loved d blog :) :)
    -Dhruva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Candy ..... yr blog is beautiful. ... wat an awsome time you had on the road...... I wish I could have been there too....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blog candy!!!
    Incredible India captured in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blog candy!!!
    Incredible India captured in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome candy ! Ur such a inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Inspirational!!!!.....keep riding :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent write up, I've travelled by motorcycle across tamil Nadu and all the way to rajasthan from bangalore and back but never thought �� of writing. This blog reminds me of my 12 day motorcycle trip of Tamil Nadu with the journey ending at meghamalai near theni district

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice one!!! really inspirational..Keep it up (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely reading this blog! Keep it up and keep updating!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Feels great to see u follow ur passion ...the blog is beautifully arranged with photos ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing trip..love to live life like this.hatts off for your passion in RE

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a wonderful blog Candida. Lots of pictures, felt as if I was actually in those places :)

    I hope to cover these and many new places myself :)

    Regards,
    Aashish

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoa, really inspiring. Nice pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing pics Candida, am sure the trip has added a lot of gud memories n value to yo life. Keep going, sky is the limit.. They say so, but ppl have been to the space. ;) more power to u gal.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing pics Candida, am sure the trip has added a lot of gud memories n value to yo life. Keep going, sky is the limit.. They say so, but ppl have been to the space. ;) more power to u gal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment